What, a healthy flapjack? You bet ya. I came across this idea this morning and simply had to try it. I’ve been feeling like eating flapjacks for a few days now and this recipe, well, it’s healthy so why hold back? PLUS it is really, really quick and easy.
In fact, this is like having a protein-power-gym-shake; only in solid form. I’m feeling healthy and fit already. So, let’s get started….. My guys want another batch!
Healthy Flapjack Recipe
- 1 banana
- 2 eggs
- Oil for the pan
That’s it for the ingredients! What, no flour or sugar or, or, or…..? Nope.
How do you do it then?
Mash the banana. Whisk the eggs. Combine the two together and you have your mixture!
Heat the oil in the pan on a medium temperature. Pour a little of the mixture (enough for a good-size flapjack) into the pan. Cook for about 30 seconds then turn over – it should be a nice, toasty brown colour. Cook the other side and then remove and make the next one.
This will give you about 6 flapjacks. If you want more, just double up the recipe.
Tips and Notes
- I used a medium-size banana and extra-large eggs. This was a good balance I found. If you want a stronger banana flavour, use a large banana or change the eggs to large-size.
- I used olive oil, but the type of oil doesn’t really matter… coconut oil, palm oil, canola…take your pick.
- Add enough oil to the pan so that you can turn the flapjacks over without scrunching them up – which will then give you a kind of banana scrambled egg. Of course, don’t over-do the oil else, um, healthy? You’ll get the hang of it after a couple of goes.
- Add some cinnamon or vanilla to the mix
- Decorate with your favourite berries
- Serve with a cinnamon and sugar mix on the side
- Enjoy with syrup
- How about some peanut butter? More protein!
- Go decadent with some whipped cream
Look for baking classes in your area.
You may also like to read: